Camp America 2015

In May of 2015 I embarked on the biggest trip of my life, I flew out to Indiana, USA to spend 3 months being a camp counsellor on a Girl Scout Camp, which was an hour outside of Indianapolis. 
This was only the second time I had ever been on a plane and to do it solo was slightly terrifying, however the idea of being in America for so long, experiencing the sights, sounds and food completely pushed the terrifying thoughts aside. 

Gallahue Valley Camp is situated in the middle of a forest which is the perfect surrounding for a camp. There was plenty of walking around, I did on average 9miles a day! We had a huge lake that we used for sailing, kayaking, a sectioned off swimming area and fishing. The sunsets over it were stunning!


The first two weeks when I arrived at the camp were of training and getting to know the camp and the other staff. There was a big group of us from the UK which was really lovely. During this time I was able to get a qualification in lifeguarding, first aid, archery and learn all the skills and songs i'd need to be a great counsellor for camp!

The British Counsellors 
Each week was themed for the campers, there was different themes for every age group. Through my working with Brownies back home I found myself being paired with the younger kids almost every week which was great because I'd have to sleep in a building rather than a tent! 

On my second week of camp i was placed with the eldest girls, these were aged 14-16. This terrified me as I had only just turned 18 myself. The week was an absolute blast as the them was 'Coaster Crazy' we spent 3 nights camping at Holiday World, a theme and water park in Santa Claus, IN. The weather was stunning and who could complain at 4 days at a theme park! The final day we drove down to Kentucky Kingdom, a park which used to be a Six Flags. 

July 1st at camp was completely wild! The whole of camp dressed up and we spent the day doing American themed activities, having a water slide and lots of singing. That weekend we drove into Indianapolis and watched the fireworks which we're incredible, I've never seen a show quite like it.

Campers and Counsellors on July 1st

Counsellors outfits on July 1st
When my time finished at camp I flew up to NYC to spend a few days there before coming home. I participated in an Intrepid Trek up to Niagara Falls, the days were very long and my butt completely fell asleep after sitting in a mini bus for 600 miles! However Niagara Falls was truly magnificent and I was able to complete a dream of mine which was going to Canada, it was only for the evening however i'll take what I can get! 
As a Vancouver Canucks Ice Hockey fan I was not impressed being in Buffalo, New York!
Pointing at the American Falls, Niagara is behind me 
On return I stayed a few more days in NYC, doing the Empire State Building, walking around Central Park and even being able to go to a filming of the Late Night Show with Seth Meyers. Throughout my trip I stayed in youth hostels, I found this was best for me because not only were they cheaper than an actual hotel everyone staying there was really friendly and easily approachable. It was really lovely being able to hang out in the garden in the evening talking to people that had travelled all over the country and world. It made travelling alone a lot easier for me. 

Until we meet again,









Abi's Adventure